After having tasted Pad Thai in the street food markets of Bangkok I have been trying to replicate this delicious dish at home. This isn’t quite like the real thing, it’s very hard to make it taste authentic. I need to fly back to Thailand and watch how the street vendors make it! In the meantime this recipe will have to suffice…
- Chicken (or leave it out if you want to go veggie)
- Flat rice noodles
- 1 egg
- 2 limes
- Bean sprouts (140g)
- Spring onions (4)
- Soy sauce X
- Fish sauce – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind paste ?
- Crushed peanuts – 2 handfuls
- Coriander – a handful
- Garlic (1 clove)
- Chili powder
1. Pour boiling water over the noodles. Leave for 5 minutes. Then drain and put them in cold water.
2. Start cooking the chicken in a wok.
3. Make a quick sauce with the lime juice, sugar, chili, fish sauce, soy sauce and tamarind paste
4. Now you’re ready to throw everything together. Put the wok on a high heat and add: the egg (scramble it), spring onions, bean sprouts, noodles, garlic, coriander and the sauce.
5. Plate it up, garnish with more peanuts and coriander. Serve with lime wedges.