A good alternative to pizza, these tarts are made with puff pastry – making them light and crispy – and packed full of tasty, colourful vegetables. Meat lovers can add chorizo for a spicy flavour.
- Puff pastry - find alternative/make from scratch so healthy
- Feta Cheese
- Pesto - X
- Tomatoes (sliced)
- Green, red or yellow peppers
- Chorizo (optional)
- Balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
- Lemon juice
This recipe makes 6 individual tarts. It is a good idea to pre-cook the pastry for about 10 minutes before adding the topping, as the latter will cook more quickly. Add baking beans to stop the pastry puffing up too much when you do this!
1. Roll out the pastry (home-made or shop bought) into 6 tarts, make a crust and then pre-cook in the oven for about 10 minutes.
2. Make the paste: combine the pesto, feta cheese and basil and mash it up.
3. Take the tarts out and leave to cool for a few minutes.
4. Prepare the vegetables – cut up the tomatoes, peppers and onions. Then lightly fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Spread the paste onto the tarts. Then add the vegetables. Tear up bits of chorizo, olives and basil and scatter all over.
6. Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
7. Cook in the oven at 180 (fan) for 15-20 minutes.
This recipe is very flexible and you can basically add any toppings you want (e.g. mushrooms, different types of cheeses, anchovies, green beans).